Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Weathered Finish

 Hi there friends TGIF!!
~~~
With the kids still home I'm enjoying the last few weeks we have left with them before the hustle and bustle of school begins!
 I did manage to fit in a little project this week!
This is something that has been bugging me for quite sometime...I just wasn't sure what type of change I wanted to make to it.
 The change was to the curio I have in our upstairs hall.
Here's the before...
I painted this oak piece before my blogging days so I don't have any pictures of how it looked when we first bought it. 
 And here it is after it's second makeover...
 I was thinking of repainting it...but after I got it down in the garage I had one of those light bulb moments lol!!
I got out my coarse sanding block and started to sand away and I was loving the results.
By sanding most of the paint off it...it gave this piece a weathered worn finish...LUV!! 

Now let's have a look on the inside...
As much as I would love to fill this piece with old books and white ironstone the pieces in here have to much of a sentimental value to me so I can't part with them.
 When I started to add everything back in I decided to add some of my old leather books for a more vintage feel.

 My three kiddos silver baby cups...yes I like the tarnished look...it drives my mom crazy!

 Look at those pretty claw feet!
 I bought this pretty french country rooster urn in Florida a few years ago.
 I didn't have to buy a thing for this vignette...I just went and shopped my storage room! 
I actually forgot about that brass lamp...we bought it in our first house and it hasn't made an appearance in this house until now.
 


 The best part of this makeover is that it cost me nothing...gotta love those kind of projects!! 
 More changes to come up here so stay tuned!
~~~
Thanks so much for stopping by have a super weekend!
 photo signature_zpsc1c28298.png
JOINING:
Amaze Me Monday
Show and Share Party
Savvy Southern Style 
Treasure Hunt Thursday 
Tweak it Tuesday 

 

30 comments:

chateau chic said...

The weathered finish you gave your cabinet is perfect, Martina! I think it's wonderful to fill it with items that have such special meaning and memories.
Mary Alice

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That is the perfect finish! I love the way you added the vintage books into the case as well. Have a great weekend!

DD's Cottage said...

I love the finish you have created! It looks stunning now!

designchic said...

It looks amazing - love the finish and of course the treasures you have filled it with!! Happy weekend ~

Patty Sumner said...

I love the idea of just sanding it...I love a worn look on any piece of furniture. I also love the idea of filling it with pieces that have such sweet memories for you.. Have a great weekend. Yes, TGIF! Blessings!

Suzanne said...

Oh, it looks so pretty. I love the weathered look and all your special things. Enjoy these fleeting days of summer. xo

Moni - Zuhaus at Home said...

I like the finish, less is more, right? Love all of the sweet treasures inside too. Have a nice weekend, Martina!

Kelly said...

I love the weathered finish you gave that piece. Looks like your found it that way.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Nice job! Love the Hummels and Lladro pieces. I have an oak curio cabinet in storage. I thought about painting it but never had the guts to do it.

Junkchiccottage said...

Good Morning Martina,
I love your curio and I love the sanded weathered look to it. Just beautiful. The most special part is you have so many fond treasures in this cabinet. Love that the most. So pretty.
Kris

Betty said...

I love the look of your curio cabinet. I have never seen one done like that. I have a blue candleholder just like the one you have. I am a candleholder collector.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I LOVE the new look....and you have so many beautiful things in your curio...the books added great interest and texture!...Have a great weekend!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Looks great Martina! Love all of your treasures pieces and the brass lamp too...so nice for you to shop the house and have such nice pieces to use.
Blessings,
Cindy

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Looks great Martina! Love all of your treasures pieces and the brass lamp too...so nice for you to shop the house and have such nice pieces to use.
Blessings,
Cindy

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Love the weathered finish! And love that the whole redo cost you nothing. :)

Have a great day!
Pam

Gina said...

Your curio looks wonderful, Martina! I really love the weathered finish. It turned out perfectly!

Karen @ karensuponthehill said...

Good morning! I just started to follow your blog and joined your FB page.
I wanted to comment that the legs on the cabinet really are lovely! What a great shot!

must love junk said...

Great job on the cabinet-love the new 'weathered' look, and the sweet treasures inside! :)
Susan

Calypso In The Country said...

Looks pretty, Martina - and so nice to be able to "shop" your house!
-Shelley

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Marina, I love it's rustic charm! It was gorgeous white, but you too it up a whole new level. The addition of the books is fun and the top vignette is perfect. Love it when we can shop from home!
hugs,
Jann

Karen said...

Wow Martina, you did a great job. It looks like a different piece. My mom hated tarnish silver too and distressed furniture. It cracked me up, She would wrinkle her nose and humph, then say I want to throw things away when they look like that lol. She did it every time she saw something of mine that was distressed, too funny.

Anne said...

Love that cabinet Martina! Isn't it fun.....just sanding a bit made a totally different look...and I too LOVE it!Always nice when you can shop your own house too! It looks beautiful!

Segreto Secrets said...

What a beautiful change!!! Bravo! xo Leslie

Cynthia said...

Oh Martina, I am so happy you didn't repaint this piece. This is gorgeous, love the sanded look!

Cindy

Sarah said...

Martina, this was a great idea. I really like the new look. This is a wonderful piece with those curvy legs.
Your treasures look fantastic in this case. ;-)

xinex said...

Good job, Martina! Looks awesome....Christine

Kristina @ My Own Home Blog said...

Beautiful change! I love the weathered look as well as that blue and white candlestick! Gotta love free projects!

Susan' Hearts and Flowers said...

Everything looks wonderful Martina. Its amazing how you can change out a space by using the things you already have.

The Tuscan Home said...

Looks wonderful Martina...you are so talented! I love weathered finishes. :) xo, Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...